Saturday, September 12, 2009

Grandmother


I have been blessed with Grandmother's in my lifetime. Exceptional ones. Each unique in their personalities and ways of giving love. All magnificent in character quality. A lot of people fear aging. Despising how it makes them look and feel. I think there is something extraordinarily beautiful about the wrinkles, age spots and silver hair. Marks of wisdom and bravery. Marking history.

I have eaten my fair share of grandma cookies and homemade meals. She, no matter which one, would always make our favorites. I love the sound of each of their voices. I can hear them reading my favorite books at bedtime. Banging around in the morning light of the kitchen on Thanksgiving and Christmas. And I can hear their stories. I love the stories.

Today I stopped by to visit Grandma Bertha. I spent a few hours with she and Walter. It was like a soothing balm to my soul. My cares melted away and for those precious minutes I was swept up in WWII and stories of days gone by. We laughed and I cried. Good medicine for each other.

Grandmother, to me, is an expression of unconditional love.
God's pure love. Thank you God for the transforming love of a grandmother, always at just the right time.

pictured: Me with Grandma Dorothy

1 comment:

  1. OOhhh now I miss both of my grandmothers all over again! They have been gone too long and I look forward to the day when we are reunited in His presence. What a day that will be...

    ReplyDelete