Saturday, August 14, 2010

Memory


I kind of gave up memorizing things a while back. I seem to have left that part of life back in the school days. Memorization is for kids who want stickers and lollies and patches for sewing on a vest, for tests and grades.

As a kid I would spend weeks out of the summer in VBS. That's vacation bible school. I would go to my Grandma Vi's church bible school and my Grandma Dorothy's church bible school, flopping back and forth from house to house, always a little concerned about Grandma's ability to fix my hair. As much as I adore my grandmothers, my house of choice for VBS weeks was my friend Kendra's. Her mom Teri was my babysitter from 6 months old til we moved far far away. Kendra and I were, well, she was my best friend. And I don't use that term lightly.

Teri was VBS super mom. She still is. She has always and forever given her time and talents to the teaching of children, caring deeply for them with the love of God as if they were her own. There was always scripture memory at VBS and as we got older the bigger the passages they challenged us with. The last VBS I can remember we were given some big long obscure passage in the Old Testament. Kendra and I decided to take it on. We stayed up late into the night that week huddled under her white cotton twill blanket with our flashlight reciting and memorizing that chapter of Habakkuk. We were careful to hear each other closely and make sure the other one was getting it. And eventually one or the other would drift off to sleep mid verse.

By the end of the week we had both mastered it. One by one those who had it memorized were to stand in front of the whole VBS and cite the passage. We were both nervous for each other. We did it all for some amount of points and a chocolate bar as I recall. Funny though, it wasn't the points or the chocolate that mattered most.

A dear friend of mine memorizes loads of scripture, still. I found that quite challenging. So after thinking about its importance and how I still live from the verses I memorized as a kid; I decided to bring it back. I picked a passage and have been memorizing it. And can I just tell you how fun it is and addictive. How good is that, being addicted to the bible? I carry my bible around with me, to the bathroom, to the kitchen, outside on the patio, in the car. I've been reciting in my head, in the shower, whilst baking cookies, to my husband, to the Italian girl who shares our wall.

Side note: I speak way more with my hands now after living with an Italian. I find this highly entertaining.

So I put my thinking cap back on and I like what it's doing in my mind and in my heart, all the memory of it.

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Hebrews 4:12

9 comments:

  1. Yay! I love this post. What great memories of VBS, and I love your description of you lugging your Bible around everywhere. Very familiar. Yesterday I had mine open next to me whilst cutting out a pattern! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, is this the face you make while memorizing? If so, I want to come to your house and hang out awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is an adorable picture of you. I like your color palate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well come on over Rachelle. And thank you pagereader for liking my palate. I feel very flattered, flattered indeed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore this picture of you! and giggle at the thought of you picking up an italian accent :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Chris! And you should experience the actual Italian, she'll have you in stitches. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kris! This is a wonderful challenge. I realized long ago that the scriptures that have been my strength have most often been the ones I memorized in VBS-and in "missionettes" as a young girl. Phil 4:8, Gal 5:22-23, Ps 23, Prov 3:5-6...they've all stood me in good stead through the years. You've inspired me to start it up again...
    I believe that nothing done with the Word returns void.


    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kris, I love reading your blog! And what inspiration you give. Hungry for His Word. I am praying for that for myself. I think of you often & hope you are doing well. Love ya, Niki

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Hi Niki!! I hope you are doing well too... Love you, Kris

    ReplyDelete