Thursday, February 11, 2010

Flying Solo


It's Thursday night. I dropped Brooks off at the largest church in Australia for a meeting and then a recording session. I drove away in Miss Bianca, our 1988 Holden Apollo, alone.

My life is very different these days.

I work during the day from home. Busy with all things design and thankful for it. I put in a load of clothes here and have a snack there. I'll get the mail in the afternoon and cook up a little dinner to be waiting by the time Brooks gets home. By the end of the day I'm usually ready to get out of the house and go for a walk or a drive or something, anything. Going to the store has become a real treat.

"The shops" are open late (9pm) on Thursdays. Normally they close at 5. This is not only the Land Down Under it's the Land Laid Back.

Tonight I had the car and was on my way to Rouse Hill for a bit of shopping. Valentine's Day is near and I needed a few birthday cards. On my way I was plagued with a deep sadness. No one to shop with. No one to go with me. No one to brave this big city. No one to call. Not a friend in sight or even within calling distance. Thinking of all the friends I'd like to have in my passenger seat, sadder by the minute, I heard a little voice say "what about me, I'm your friend." Not a real out loud voice but the still small voice. God's voice. I felt better knowing He was with me, my Faithful Friend. And all of a sudden I wasn't so alone anymore.

So there we were, me, Miss Bianca and Jesus, off to hunt some Valentines.

But there is a friend that sticks closer than a brother. Proverbs 18:24

I will exalt You,
You are my God.
Because You're with me,
I will not fear.
My hiding place,
my safe refuge,
my treasure Lord You are.
My friend and King,
Anointed One,
most Holy.
-Brooke Fraser "I will Exalt You"

No comments:

Post a Comment